It is recommended that participants have at least a Bachelor of Enginering degree and have a basic understanding of protection.
Power system protection systems play a crucial role in establishing reliable electrical power systems. Improperly designed protection systems may result in major power failures. Due to the ever increasing importance of electricity such power failures can have a serious impact on society and economy.
Knowledge of power system protection systems is key when it comes to keeping the reliability level of electrical infrastructures as high as possible. With the advances in protection and communication technology in recent decades plus the strong increase of renewable energy sources, the design and operation of power system protection systems becomes ever more challenging.
In this course the fundamentals of power system protection and its application are presented. A very “hands-on” approach is applied whereby the concepts are taught. Understanding is then strengthened by real world examples. Interaction is encouraged between participants and the presenters, to underpin the learning objectives.
This course is designed for technical professionals working in transmission or distribution network operator companies, consultancy organisations, in large industries or government organisations involved in design, engineering, commissioning or maintenance of protection systems. It is recommended that participants have at least a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
- Day 1: Introduction to power system protection
* introduction to power systems
* introduction to power system protection
* power system and power system protection calculations
* trends in power system protection
- Day 2: Application of power system protection
* protection of power transformers
* protection of power cables and lines
* protection of substations
* protection of motors
* special protection funtions
- Day 3: Special topics
* protection of power systems with high degree of renewable energy sources
* wide area protection
* protection of HVDC networks
* testing of power system protections
* IEC 61850
* failure investigations
For more detailed information, please refer to the brochure or contact us.
This course is also available on request (inhouse or customized). Please contact us for more information.